Beth Eden Baptist Church was established here in Fitchburg in 1893, and its members have been faithfully serving the Lord in our community ever since. We are a church set at the top of a hill, literally. We desire to be a spiritual light for the Lord, showing God's love and sharing God's truth throughout our community. Please continue reading to learn about our founding, our relocation, and our leadership.
In the spring of 1891, Abram T. Eddy, a deacon from New Bedford, MA, spent several months visiting in the Fitchburg area. He became very impressed with the need for an evangelical Baptist church in West Fitchburg. At that point, there was only one other church in the entire Fitchburg area, First Baptist Church.
After consulting with his pastor and other ministers in the region, it was agreed that the formation of a Baptist church and Sunday school should be pursued. Hibernian Hall was rented to hold services, with the first meeting held on May 31, 2891. On July 1, 1891, Abram Eddy became the acting pastor.
Throughout the following year, a search was made for a location for constructing a building. A location at the base of Ashburnham Street was chosen. Construction continued for another year. On February 16, 1893, the church was officially organized, and a permanent name was chosen. On April 9, 1893, the first service was held in the chapel of the nearly completed building. Then on June 8, 1893, the completed building was officially dedicated, and the church was accepted into the Wachusett Baptist Association.
The church continued to minister faithfully to folks throughout the area for many decades. But, then, early in the morning on January 17, 1968, the church building was destroyed by fire. Several members gathered across the street to watch as the church burned to the ground.
By early August, ground-breaking had been held for the new church building to be located at the top of Ashburnham Street hill. The first service in the nearly completed building was held on March 2, 1969. Many strategic parts of the old building were salvaged and moved to the new location. You can still see the original granite steps. And the church bell is mounted for display in a pavilion behind the current building. Beth Eden Baptist Church is still the church that meets at the top of the hill, faithfully striving to show God's love and share God's truth with people throughout the community.
The Lord has blessed our church with many faithful pastors over the years.
Our current pastor is Claude Wiggins, who began his service at Beth Eden in April 2020. Prior to ministering at Beth Eden, he had served as a pastor in several churches, both in Michigan and Virginia. He had also served on staff at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary.
Pastor Robert Daulton served as minister here from 1990 to 2014 and is now retired. Beth Eden is where Pastor Daulton came to know the Lord as a child and was the place of his longest ministry as an adult.
Pastor Keith Betry served as minister from 2015 to 2019 and continues to have a faithful ministry in another church out-of-state.